Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lethal Judgments: Assisted Suicide and American Law (Landmark Law Cases & American Society)

I have started a new book titled Lethal Judgments: Assisted Suicide and American Law (Landmark Law Cases & American Society). This book is centered on one of the most hotly debated medical questions of the day, euthanasia. Euthanasia is the practice of assisted suicide, generally in the case of extreme suffering and little to no chance of recovery. Do people have the right to let themselves die? Where is the line drawn between this ‘assisted suicide’ and murder? These were the questions answered by the plaintiffs and the defendants as they argued before the United States Supreme Court. This book is essentially an overview of two landmark cases, Washington v. Glucksberg and Quill v. Vacco in which the Supreme Court ruled that Americans do not, in fact, have a constitutional right to assisted suicide. This issue is at the center of medical ethics issues in our country and deserves at least a small nod in my paper on it if not more. The book seems promising and I have yet to decide exactly how much information I will incorporate into my argument. This also brings up what kind of argument I will be making. I want my thesis to be larger than just the one issue of euthanasia, I am seeking some overarching rule (or as close to it as I can get) about where to draw the line between science and ethics. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Keep in mind that this is a relatively short paper. The word "overarching" makes me nervous; it often ends up meaning "vague" or "general." I suggest that you plan to make an argument about ONE specific instance where science and ethics intersect--not "assisted suicide" but "this one, specific instance of assisted suicide." No need to pick the focus yet; you'll do that next week.

    Assignment complete = 15/15

    ReplyDelete